St. Paul’s Academy Chess Club
The St. Paul’s Academy Chess Club has an exciting team this year! The opening tournament of the 2017-2018 school year was the new Dueling Knights tournament September 23rd 2017! Andre M. and Jacob G. competed, and Andre M. qualified for the State Elementary Championships for his first tournament. Andre got 3 points out of 5 and 4th place in his section, only losing to the 1st and 2nd place finishers. Jacob in his first chess tournament discovered how challenging it can be but had a great time.
- This is Jacob G. playing a practice match at Chess Club.
With the size of our school our Chess Club often competes against teams three times their size. The weekly goal of the club is to help each student learn chess at their skill level while having fun. As a result, all students gain a significant boost to critical thinking, strategy, time management, sportsmanship, and teamwork.
We have a lot of new younger students on our team this year and this is a small glimpse of some of our first grade students learning:
This school year in Whatcom Country there seven state qualifier tournaments for elementary state, as well as numerous tournament options for middle and high school. The next chess tournament is November 18th for the Lynden Christian Chess Classic.
Along with strong individual finishes at local chess tournaments, last year the chess club children won the first team trophy for St. Paul’s in years! Not all students who competed are listed here, but some notable results from last year’s season include:
- November 19th, Lynden Christian Thanksgiving Chess Tournament, Christian L. placed 4th.
- February 4th, the King’s Tournament at Wade King Elementary, St. Paul’s placed 4th overall! Christian L. and Jayden Y. won their sections, and Maxwell D. placed 4th. In the words of a St. Paul’s parent, “I can say that the kids that attended the Wade King tournament were so pleased to bring home that 4th place plaque. There are always smiles at these events but a team win made those smiles extra toothy.”
- February 25th, the Chess Jam in Ferndale, Jayden Y. placed 1st, and Odin O. placed 8th qualifying for the State Championships! Most of the rest of the St. Paul’s chess team was at the Whatcom County Math Championships that day.
- March 18th, the St. Paul’s chess team attended the 1st Annual Lowell Elementary Chess tournament. St. Paul’s had four competitors, Christian L., Maxwell D., Odin O., and Andre M. In this tournament Christian L. and Maxwell D. had very strong outings posting 4 out of 5! They both ended up in the 4-way tie for 2nd, with Christian L. taking 3rd place trophy and Maxwell earning 5th place.
- The State Elementary Chess Championships happened on April 29th! Everyone who qualified and participated had already received a winning score of 3 out of 5 or better in a qualifying tournament, so every game is against another chess player who has already proved their prowess by getting a winning score previously. Christian L. placed 38th out of almost 200 in his grade with a score of 3.5 out of 5, with only one loss and 3 wins! In the same section, Odin O. collected a score of 2.5 out of 5 and Maxwell D. scored 2 out of 5 with two wins.