Building a classroom…outdoors!
Have you heard the news? St. Paul’s Academy is building a new outdoor classroom space adjacent to Markell Hall. The vision for this space is to engage students in hands-on environmental, scientific, and cooperative learning projects that can be enhanced in an outdoor setting. Once the garden is open, K-8th grade classes will be able to plan and carry out projects in the space.
Ready to lend a hand? Visit our Facebook page or Sign up Genius to find out about upcoming work parties.
The initial garden project managers, Tanya Miller and Heather Carter, have set a few goals to accomplish before the start of the school year:
- Establish a safe and easily accessible entrance to the garden from the Markell Hall parking lot
- Have the garden space cleared of waste, debris, and overgrowth so that classes can start with a fresh space
- Have basic tools, equipment, and a maintenance plan in place to ensure volunteers and classes have the resources needed to succeed
Here’s our progress so far:
- The fence surrounding the garden property will be repaired/rebuilt. Construction is scheduled to start in early August
- Three raised bed frames have been donated by the Manning family and placed in the garden
- Four volunteer work parties have been held to help clear debris and ready the site for fence work in August
There’s still A LOT of work to do! We’re looking for generous volunteers to help with the next steps:
- Volunteers are needed to help clearing out debris and overgrowth around the fence perimeter so construction can begin in early August
- Volunteers with TRUCKS are needed to help haul debris to the dump
- Donations of tools, gloves, and gardening equipment are greatly appreciated. Gently used items are great! Here’s a few suggestions: rakes, shovels, hand clippers, a wheelbarrow, cordless trimmer, extra work gloves, safety glasses, a compost bin, watering cans, hoses, planters
- We’re hoping to find a parent or two who will be willing to lead a volunteer garden team next year. Interested in more info? contact Heather, h[email protected] or Tanya, [email protected] for more info.